Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Poor Man's Career (Do You Concur?)


I'm writing this in the middle of my studying, which is not going very well. I cannot get into it, because it does not interest me. When I decided to go back to college, I chose a science major because I knew I would have a better chance at a career that included getting paid. Needless to say - I'M BORED!

Artsy people like myself know that "art" is an investment career. Some of us don't have anything to invest. Whether your art is painting, photography, acting, music, or writing... well lets face it - Those are "Poor Man Careers" it takes money to make money in those fields, and well if you have obligations (and no money), POW! And good luck!

Ok, ok there are a lucky few of us that make it. Some of us make it big too. I don't know any of those people personally, but I do own a television.

I've noticed since I have started studying science, I've become more serious, I say "I concur" and I invent really big words to make myself sound more intelligent. I am so out of my element. Adding to me feeling out of place is the fact that I am one of the few Americans in my classes. Everyone around me is speaking in their dialect and I am sitting there playing drums with my pencil. People are turned off by sense of humor, and everyone is so damn serious! Do you concur?

My health is also starting to fade, headaches everyday because I'm trying to study stuff I just do not understand. Science is going to kill me. Science is a villian, and art is the superhero! Save me ART!

Confession time, in high school I kissed up to my Biology teacher, played on the fact that she dated my uncle. I went from a "F" in her class to a "B" never studied. I was even excused from dissecting the frog, I got to dissect one on the computer instead. Chemisty with Ms. Sheffield, I cheated. I sat in the back and cheated off of a young girl named Melanie. I slept through the lectures, or daydreamed. Often drawing pictures on my desk. So what the hell am I doing majoring in science? uh.... I can't even answer that.

All jokes aside, I'm hoping my studies in science will help me reach my goal of becoming a successful writer, and in the end science will be defeated by art. I will use my scientific knowledge to write a great novel. Look forward to it. Otherwise look forward to my lifelong career in a white labcoat turning into a lifetime in a white straightjacket. Do you concur?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
The Adventures of Afro Man and Disco Girl by S. B. Robinson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.